JOB TITLE: Director of Education
REPORTS TO: Vice President of Education
SUPERVISORY POSITION: No
Based in Reno, Nevada, KNPB broadcasts to more than 115,000 residents of Northern Nevada and Northeastern California every week and KNPB Education Services reaches more than 58,000 students across our viewing area with in-person education services. KNPB has a collaborative, positive and driven work environment. We are a team dedicated to furthering public media and increasing education opportunities for students throughout our viewing area. KNPB offers competitive pay and benefits, maternity leave, a retirement plan, and rewarding work that contributes to the betterment of our community.
The Director of Education uses their vast experience teaching young children, their awareness of good teaching practices, and their educational content knowledge to write curriculum and develop new Ready To Learn workshop kits and develop curriculum for new Family Engagement lessons. Additionally, the Director is responsible for the management of over 20 Ready To Learn workshop facilitators which includes: recruitment, hiring, training, monthly invoices, monitoring and correspondence. The Director of Education works closely with the VP of Education on most tasks, but especially to oversee Rural community Ready To Learn implementation and expansion.
The Director of Education continuously works to increase awareness of the Education department and to expand its services by putting forth a positive perspective and passion for PBS and all of the Education Department deliverables: KNPB PBS Writers Contest, Martha Speaks Reading Buddies, PreK-4th grade Ready To Learn, Family Engagement, STEAM Career Connections, and PBS LearningMedia. The ideal candidate for this position will have exceptional teaching skills, be good at writing reports and scheduling, maintains clear records, and conducts all of the ordering/purchasing for the Education Department. The Director of Education possesses positive interpersonal skills, manages each grant project, balances the budget on a monthly basis and has the willingness to continue teaching and learning.
- Teaches PreK-4th grade Ready To Learn workshops
- Manages over 20 Ready To Learn workshop facilitators
- Develops new Ready To Learn workshop kits: writes lesson plans, selects corresponding video and book, identifies standards, designs hands-on activities, and integrates a writing prompt.
- Develops new Family Engagement workshops: writes lesson plans, selects corresponding video and book, identifies standards, and designs hands-on activities.
- Oversees and manages the annual KNPB PBS Writers Contest
- Trains Martha Speaks Reading Buddies
- Teaches Family Engagement
- Understands and supports STEAM Career Connections
- Understands and supports PBS LearningMedia
- Writes reports using data from Education Services deliverables
- Maintains clear records
- Conducts all ordering/purchasing for the Education Department
- Manages over twenty grant projects
- Balances the Education Budget monthly
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- A College degree and credentials as an early childhood teacher and/or K-12 teacher.
- Passion for public media is required
- 5 years of demonstrated, successful preschool and/or K-4th grade teaching experience.
- Basic office management experience
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel and Word
- Strong organizational skills
- Positive communication skills
- Time management skills
- Experience working in a non-profit organization
- Experience with tracking grants and their deliverables.